At Ark Oval we pride ourselves in offering a Free Nursery which adheres to the school’s policies of Teaching & Learning, Assessment and Enrichment. We have high expectation for our nursery children and an embedded commitment to their learning experience embodying our SPIRIT values.
How Ark Oval helps
A day at our Nursery
When children arrive at nursery, they are encouraged to hang up their things and say Goodbye. They then find their name on the Apple Tree and join us on the carpet for singing before we start the session.
The Nursery is set up to provide a ‘free flow’ routine. This means the children can choose a range of purposeful activities both inside and out.
Fruit and Milk are also available throughout the session, and children are actively encouraged to join us in the Snack Area to enjoy something to eat and a drink.
Throughout the session, there are carpet sessions to support children in their learning. These include Phonics, Math's, Topic and Story Time. Phonics supports the children in listening, exploring and identifying sounds. In the Summer Term, the children follow the Read Write Inc Nursery programme, where they begin to recognise and write sounds. Math's carpet sessions cover a variety of subjects from the Early Years Foundation Stage, supporting children in their understanding of Number and Shape, Space and Measures. Story Time is a vital part of Nursery life, and we love to share stories as often as possible.
After ‘free flow,’ children are supported in tidying up the Nursery before joining us on the carpet to prepare for Home Time
The Nursery follows the curriculum as set out by the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
In EYFS there are seven areas of learning and development.
- Communication and Language – children develop their listening, understanding and speaking skills in a range of situations. Scholarship
- Physical Development – children develop their co-ordination, control and movement. Independence
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – children form positive relationships, show self-confidence and understand routines. Respect
- – Children are able to listen and talk about stories they enjoy. They also begin to recognise and write their own name. Perseverance
- – Children begin to count with a range of objects, recognise number and use language related to shape, size and measures. Scholarship
- Understanding the World – Children find out about people, place’s, technology and the environment. Integrity
- Expressive Art and Design – Exploring a wide range of media and sharing their thoughts and feelings through role-play, music, movement and design and technology. Thankfulness
Characteristics of Effective Learning
In planning and guiding children activates, we reflect on the different ways that children learn and reflect these in their practice.
Children learn through;
- Playing and Exploring – children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go.’
- Active Learning – children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties.
- Creating and Thinking Critically – children develop their own ideas, make links and develop strategies for doing things.
To ensure the children are given a wide range of opportunities to practice and develop their skills, we have a Topic each Half Term, designed to support children across the curriculum. These are as follows:
Autumn 1A – Settling In Autumn 1B – Our Colourful World
Spring 2A – People Who Help Us Spring 2B – Growing
Summer 3A – Animals Summer 3B – Traditional Stories
At Ark Oval Nursery, we believe in the power of experiential learning. Children learn so much when they are able to experience something first hand. Each week we include experiential learning in our weekly planning to ensure children are motivated and engaged in their learning. This might be walking to our local supermarket when learning about food, a visit from the local Police and Fire Brigade during our learning around People Who Help Us, observing Caterpillars during our topic on Growing and much more.
The children love seeing their Parents in the Nursery environment and at Ark Oval this is something we are very proud of. We often have Stay and Play sessions, where parents are actively encouraged to join us in the Nursery and support the children in their learning. We also host frequent taster sessions so that you can observe the learning that is taking place during carpet sessions. Each Half Term you are provided with an overview of the Topic. This includes information on events taking place in the Nursery that you are welcome to join us for, as well as suggested activities for you to complete at home.